Search Computer Help Please

Monday, January 18, 2016

T440s Won't Power On - Totally Dead FIX Laptop won't Power ON

Common issue for all laptops but I have personally experienced this with T440s, T450s and some HP laptops.

SYMPTOMS
Laptop has a black screen with no indicator lights lit up. Powering on with power pack attached or from battery power laptop is unreponsive and nothing happens

FIX
This is usually a very quick fix, you can remove or disconnect the battery and then hold the power button down to remove any stored up or residual power left over in the system preventing POST.

Step by Step (T440s/t450s and similar laptops)

1. Remove Battery

Remove battery from laptop

2. Remove Back Cover

Undo all the screws on the back of the laptop and then use a spudger to slowly pry open the back cover, see image below for order of steps.

3. Unplug Internal Battery

 
unplug internal battery , image shown in number 2

4. Hold down power button for 60 seconds

5. Retry powering on with all batteries disconnected

that is all for today , hope that helps for all those whose laptops won't turn on but display beeps or warning lights visit your manufacturers website to identify the issue. 
 
 Ive also heard of people getting laptops to boot by removing the ram and trying to power it on , or simply reseating the ram.

11 comments:

  1. You are a genius!!! Thanks soo much for posting this.
    I thought my motherboard died. The trick that did it was actually unplugging the cable (2) and then holding the power button for 60 seconds. I tried everything else before and nothing worked. Saved my day!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This worked -- you are a GENIUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, worked perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn! You just save my work day! Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can also can use a paperclip or pin to put the reset button. There is a hole in the bottom of the case so that you can reset the internal battery without taking the bottom of the case apart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES!! Thank you!! no ram removed

    ReplyDelete
  7. TBH I thought this sounded like nonsense, but I was desperate and tried it... AND IT WORKED!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH. Saved me a ton of money and grief.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GENIUS - Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My work laptop died and I got tired of waiting for the techies to respond so I just tried it myself, and it worked! I'm not a handy guy so I was really quite surprised and ecstatic, seems like nothing ever works the first time...but this did! Thanks mate!

    P.S. Just read the pin hole shortcut above, damn...that was a buzz kill. That would've saved me some hassle. Hey, but all's well that ends well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Works. Thank you so much.
    Someone posted"You can also can use a paperclip or pin to put the reset button. There is a hole in the bottom of the case so that you can reset the internal battery without taking the bottom of the case apart". Would you please show me where? I could not find it. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Computer Help Please