You won't always get the latest recovered files and sometimes they can be an hour or two old which means you can lose quite a lot of work. To double check that you have the latest recovered file.
Open up Microsoft Word
1. File -> Open
2. Navigate to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word (where username will be your login name , if you don't use one its most likely administrator or something similar) The Application Data folder AppData is a hidden folder so you will need to type it into the address bar manually or enable hidden folders. Enable hidden files/folders through tools -> folder options -> view -> show hidden files
3. Make sure to Select "All Files" under File type
4. Look for ASD Files , if you have enabled file extensions they will be files that end in .asd
Take note of the File name and Date modified fields.
5. Open your file with the asd extension
For Windows XP users your path for finding .asd recovered file may differ
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Roaming\Microsoft\Word
You can also check the unsaved files folder under
- Windows 7/Windows Vista. C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\UnsavedFiles
- Windows XP, C:\Documents and Settings\User_Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\UnsavedFiles
That is all folks