save the changes to the Normal.dot or Normal.dotm or Normal.dotm global templateThis will usually be a very quick fix , there are 3 different actions you can try
Disabling COMM Addins , Deleting Macro's set to run in the template or disable the save prompt.
1. Disable Template saving prompt
You can disable whether or not word asks you to save your global templates everytime you exit word by going into
Click on the Microsoft Office icon on the top left -> Word Options -> Click on Advanced from left hand pane -> Scroll Down to the sub heading "save" -> and uncheck Prompt before saving normal template
now this will generally work if the template is on the local machine and you have permission to make changes. If this is unsuccessful move onto number 2
2. Check Word Add-ins
Again go into word options but this time go to the Add-ins tab on the left, at the very bottom you will see the word Manager with a drop down box , select COM Add-ins and click GO
here you will see the add-ins currently running in word, you may have to play around by disabling certain add-ins to see which one is the culprit.
3. Disable Macro's
- In the upper-left corner of the screen, click the Office button.
- In the lower-right area of the drop-down box, click Word Options.
- In the Word Options page, click Popular in the left menu.
- In the Top options for working with Word section, click to select the Show Developer tab in the Ribbon check box, and then click OK.
- At the top of the Word window, click the Developer tab.
- On the Developer tab, click Macros in the Code group
4. Check the file / directory permissions on the folder for the user